- An email/cover letter that includes what you’d like to achieve by working with a freelance editor, the editorial services you are interested in, and your target timeline (if any). Please feel free to include any other information that you feel would be helpful for me to know, such as your vision for the project, publication goals, budget, etc.
- A brief summary of your work (one page or less as a Word document attachment), including genre, target audience, and word count.
- For picture books: your picture book manuscript as a Word document attachment.
- For picture book dummies: your picture book manuscript as a Word document attachment and a link to a sample of your illustrations and/or your online portfolio (please do not attach large art files to your email).
- For chapter book, middle grade, and young adult manuscripts: the first 10–15 pages of your manuscript as a Word document attachment.
You will receive an email confirming delivery, usually within 1 business day.
I will review the materials and respond, usually within five business days. If I feel that working together would be beneficial to your manuscript, I will send a fee estimate and an expected timeline. Once we agree upon the schedule and fees, I will send you a formal agreement and ask that you electronically review and sign it; the agreement details the editorial services I’ll provide, schedule, and payment information. Payments are usually made via PayPal, with half due upon agreement, half upon completion. Project-specific editing schedules are considered reserved after I receive the signed agreement and initial deposit. I’ll then ask you to send the full manuscript as a Word document attachment, along with PDF files of any applicable artwork for picture books. If I am not able to take on your manuscript for any reason, whether due to scheduling or because I do not feel that I can be of help, I will let you know as soon as possible.